I'm Anything But Ordinary

I'm Anything But Ordinary

06 July 2005

Autobiography of a Face


~~~~ Curious

There are some books in life that can change you forever. One of those for me is Autobiography of a Face. It tells the story of Lucy, a young girl who at age 9 developed cancer in her jaw. This in turn resulted in a third of her jaw being removed. The rest of the book tells of her trials and tribulations dealing with looking different from everyone else.

I highly recommend this book. Not only does it teach one to bane stereotypes and accept all differences (the reason I believe it was put on my school's required reading list) but Lucy's writing style is just outstanding. The language she uses to reveal her feelings just makes you want to keep reading. Currently I have about 30 pages left in the book and I'm on the chapter entitled Cool which speaks of her college years.

This chapter has really begun to make me question myself. Lucy's just coming into her own as an artist as she masters her poetry. Will I recieve such an ephiphany next year? I certainly hope so but nothing is guaranteed. The books also makes me want to write more intelligently. Maybe that's why this blog is more than "What did I do today..." Unfortunatley, I lack the training to truly write an entry such as any of the chapters in Lucy's book. If I get my A.P. scores soon and get a decent score in Biology I may be able to drop my Environmental Zoology and pick up a writing class. I'd enjoy that.

0 Free for All: