I'm Anything But Ordinary

I'm Anything But Ordinary

10 March 2005

The Weekend's Almost Here


~~~~Happy

&


~~~~Sleepy

I'm in a very good mood because I don't have a speech tournament and there's a posibility that I won't even have school tomorrow but I'm also terribly exhausted. There's suppose to be an outrageous amount of snow coming through the state and it's looking quite hopeful outside right now. But then again there's suppose to be an ajudicated event for band tomorrow and I'd be a little disappointed if we missed that. I know it's sad and pathetic but actually it's more because some speech friends from Glenoak are in band and they'll be here for ajudicated events too. I hope I get to see them this weekend!

But on the other hand, if I had a snow day tomorrow I'd spend it working on my Expos paper and scholarships. I went to the office today and picked up every single scholarship I thought I had a chance getting. Now I need to start filling them out. I'm hoping to be able to use my college entrance essay for most of them. It's entitled "A Day in the Life of a Speechie." Oh, it's sad, I know but it was a good topic and most of the scholarships are asking for things like that anyways. You wanna read it? Well, you don't have a choice and I can't think of anything else to put so:

[cut] It’s 6:30 AM on a Saturday morning and I’m preparing to load a bus for another thrill seeking day with the Wooster High School Speech and Debate team. With my coffee in one hand and a warm blanket and pillow in the other, I stumble onto the bus and choose the ideal seat for the next hour and a half. Once comfortable, I curl up and try to forget, for at least a little while, that I’m still not fast asleep in my bed. But then, I hear her voice, “People, if we aren’t ready to go in the next five seconds, I’ll feed you to the dogs!”
Welcome to an average Saturday for the *Insert School Name* High School Speech and Debate team. My name is Elentári and I will be taking you on this tour of the highs and lows of being a “Speechie” for HS. A Speechie is a label given to the members of the Speech and Debate team and we’ve adopted the name and worn it proudly. Our Speech team competes throughout the Northeast every Saturday from early November to early March.
Upon arrival, the sleep must be shaken off and the three hours of competing will begin. I compete in a category called Duo Interpretation where two people present a ten-minute skit in which they can play multiple characters. My partner and I have selected a humorous skit titled “Baby” that is about the trials and tribulations of a newborn baby in its first year of life. We both portray four characters each and utilize our abilities to mask our original voices with multiple accents. Our skit will be presented to three different judges over the course of the competition.
Once these three hours have passed, my partner and I stumble out of our last competition room. We proceed to the cafeteria to stuff our faces and begin what is affectionately known as the waiting period, a time that is both bitter and sweet. Away from the prying eyes of the Speechies, the judges and coaches are busy tabulating ballots to determine the winners. While chaos is reigning in this room, the Speechies are trying to kill the three hours of time. Some have brought games, others guitars. Even the studious few have brought along their homework. However, while the waiting is unbearable, the friends that are made, the jokes that are told, and the wonderful times spent with the Speechies are unforgettable.
Finally the moment of truth has arrived. All the Speechies are crammed into the school auditorium as the awards are presented. As the awards ceremony comes to an end, the winners in my category are announced from sixth place to first place. Although I did not place today, I value the time spent with the Speechies. The bonds I make with the other Speechies compensate for the exhausting days and the occasional disappointments. That means more to me then a plastic trophy. [/cut]

0 Free for All: