I'm Anything But Ordinary

I'm Anything But Ordinary

11 January 2005

My Review of "The Firebrand"


~~~~Okily Dokily

I just finished my book... that could be it. I was reading The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It was pretty good. I've also read The Mists of Avalon by the same author and I can't decide which I like better. I think there are several reason someone would lean more towards one or the other.

First of all both books are written in the same viewpoint. Both books contain the main character who is the daughter of royalty but chooses a religious path as a priestess. Both have unatainable love interests, mothers who don't undstand them, other female-kin who do, and both lose their entire family by the end of the books. Also, both main characters are fierce feminists, rebels, and head priestesses.

The Mists of Avalon centers around Morgaine, daughter of Igraine, but after her father dies she is adopted by Igraine's new husband. They give birth to Arthur, thus making Morgaine Arthur's half-sister. The rest of the book centers around Morgaine's life, her involvement of kinging Arthur, and her struggle with being a Pagan in an arising Christian world.

The Firebrand is a story about Kassandra, daughter of Priam and Hecuba and her involvement with the Trojan war. She's the twin sister of Paris (you know the one who brought Helen over thus starting the entire war). Everyone thinks she's mad because the Gods keep sending her visions of Troy being destroyed.

Morgaine loves Lancelot (who is in love with Gwynhefar who is married to Arthur... twisted!) while Kassandra loves Aeneas (her sister's husband). Both Morgaine and Kassandra's mothers are weak and timid while they are strong. Morgaine becomes a priestess of Avalon while Kassandra is sent to live with the fierce Amazon-warrior women. Morgaine finds guidance in Vivianne her aunt and Kassandra finds Prothessila (didn't spell that right) her aunt to be her mentor.

So, as you can see, there are a lot of similarities in these books. Obviously you know Troy falls in the end of "The Firebrand" (and if you didn't know that you need some culture) but I won't say what happens at the end of "The Mists of Avalon". I liked "Mists" better because it helped me decide I loved the Gods and Goddesses and I wanted to be a Pagan. But I also like the story of Troy and all the characters in it more then the story of King Arthur. "Mists" is better written... it seems more thought out but "Firebrand's" fight scenes are more intense and exciting.

I guess it's a tie. It all depends on what matters the most to you in a book. I suggest reading them both! You won't be sorry!



0 Free for All: