I'm Anything But Ordinary

I'm Anything But Ordinary

08 September 2009

Barack Obama Tries Be A Role Model and People Complain?


~~~~ Weird

Barack Obama via Twitter: It should never be controversial to ask our students to stay in school. Watch today's speech.

I'm sadly amused by the entire controversy that is Obama's address to students.  Amused because, well, the president isn't allowed to address his constituents... even if they are of the future?  Sad because of quotes like this: "Thinking about my kids in school having to listen to

that just really upsets me."  Why is this sad?  Because this Colorado suburban mother commented on Obama's speech last week, well before the text of the speech had been released.  All that was known was Obama wanted to address the school children directly on what they could do to help ensure the future of this country.  And she was upset?  Ummm....  And it's not like this move is unprecedented.  Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. have all addressed students regarding their own educations.  They just didn't experience the media scrutiny for some reason.  A Teacher from Baltimore commented that it's terrible that our country has: "become so polarized that we believe that our president is an enemy and not our leader."

Now I've read the Full Speech and found nothing wrong with what he had to say.  Yes, I'm liberal.  Yes, I'm a democrat.  So everything he had to say I pretty much agreed with.  But the only thing I could find throughout the entire speech that might disturb right-wing conservatives is a few mentions of curing AIDS, fighting poverty, and all his examples of hard-working students are minorities.  *Gasp*  Oh, and he uses J.K. Rowling as an example of someone who wouldn't give up even after the first Harry Potter was rejected 12 times.  Harry Potter!  Witches!  Satan!  THE BRITISH!!!



I just don't get it.  What's the big deal?

Obama urges students to work hard, stay in school.

0 Free for All: