I'm Anything But Ordinary

I'm Anything But Ordinary

27 February 2007

The Promised Land


~~~~ Sleepy

Sunday - At least my historiography professor wasn't quite as insane as Thursday. We just kinda talked like normal but she gave us a kinda fun assignment. We had to ask three people if 1) We really landed on the moon 2) Egypt really won the War of 1973 and 3) If the sexual harassment incident during Eid really took place and why they thought that way. The only problem? I was really interested in it from a psychological viewpoint because I wondered what their answers said about them as a person... I don't think that was the point of the exercise but my three people all said yes, no, and yes so I didn't have very much variety. After class Allison and I got the text copied for our inclass writing assignment in Historiography and I attempted to read it... ha. What a bore. It didn't work out too well but I have tried to go through it twice so I should be ready for the exercise thursday. Then I went to Egyptology. Now that we're actually talking about stuff (namely history at the moment) I really like the class. Granted, I know everything we're talking about but still it's fun to hear his opinions on some things. After class I went back to the flat and ate... what else? Macaroni and cheese and watched an episode of Smallville (kinda becoming adicted, p.s.). I was not looking forward to starting on my paper so I tagged along with Cori to get some groceries. When I did get back to the apartment I made myself the biggest pot of coffee ever and started working. It really didn't take me all that long to churn out a four and half page analyses paper but I just dread doing that kind of stuff so much I make it worse then it really is. After my paper was done I took a little break to head to the library to print it off and get some koshari for dinner :) Perfection! So once I got home I continued with the rest of my homework then went to bed. All-in-all an unimpressive but productive day.

Monday - Actually woke up and went to Social Movements! It turns out that Dr. Saad is planning his Palestine / Lebanon / Israel / Jordan trip for Spring Break! I might have to blow off Europe! Turned in my paper and went to do some errands. Got my passport back (my visa is so pretty!), made some photocopies, went to submit all my stuff to get an ISIC (finally), and caved and bought myself a notebook so I can continue to be OCD. Finally headed back to the flat for (what else) macaroni and cheese, and another episode of Smallville. After that I got my life organized in my notebook and did my homework. Went to Geography of Ancient Egypt where Dr. Swanson went off on some tangent about Alexander the Great and the Siwa Oasis... sigh. Ended up texting Katie throughout the class and settled on feteer for dinner. Allison and I swung by to pick it up but the love of my life wasn't working :( Also decided on some fabulous fig cookies and I stopped by for some oranges from my fruit vendor friend who, btw, gave me extra oranges, they turned out to be blood oranges which should be more expensive, and only charged me two pounds for them! I looove that man! Went back to the flats, ate, and then Katie and I got bored so we went back to the grocery store. Hahaha they will know our names soon! Came back and did a little planning for the Sinai trip.

Tuesday - Katie called early and told me the travel office had no idea how to get from Pelusium to Mt. Sinai so we decided to ditch the ideo of going with the Egyptology classes. That's fine with me. After last weekend I'm not really that crushed. Went to Historiography where we had another boring discussion. Afterward I went to the ATM (I think I spend too much money here) and tried to get my ISIC but apparently they haven't come in yet. Booo. Went back to the library and explored the fourth floor. Not that exciting. Got some work done that started to head to Egyptology when I ran into Brian. Made plans to make falafel for dinner then went to class. "Learned" about the New Kingdom and the Third Intermediate Period then went for feteer with other Brian and tried one more time for my identity card... no dice. Came back to the flat and got some work done until I met up with Katie to go to the sook. Got some groceries then headed back to the apartment for falafel making fun. Honestly? It would have been ten times easier and ten times better to just walk down the street and buy falfel for 50 piastres... but what's the fun in that? Brian, Dan, Duncan, and Nick came by and we had a little dinner party. I love it. The only part I didn't love was the ridiculous amount of pots and pans we used to cook... and the amount of dishes we had to do afterward. hahaha. I really sould finish my homwork and take a shower so I can get to bed. Cori wants to go to the gym tomorrow morning during the female hour (we were gonna go Monday but that totally fell through) but I don't think I'm gonna make it. Hey, the elevator's broken... I have to take the steps to the 10th floor... that counts, right?

Plan for the weekend - Friday: Take a seven hour bus ride to Mt. Sinai early in the morning. Climb the mountin and catch the sunset. Camp out that night and... Saturday: catch the sunrise. Climb back down and see St. Catherine's Monastery. Go Home.

Did I mention how right this feels?

0 Free for All: