I'm Anything But Ordinary

I'm Anything But Ordinary

28 September 2006

A Decent Boldness Ever Met With Friends


~~~~ Thoughtful

Yesterday I went to a lecture at the Art Museum called "Imaging Ancient Desire." The lecture was presented by Simon Goldhill. This fabulous Cambridge-man who showed us all these different pictures painted during the Victorian Era with Classical themes. I wish I could take a class that Goldhill taught. It would be wonderful. I'm basically in love with that man.

My favorite painting? Circe by J.W. Waterhouse:

I like how you can just see Odysseus in the reflection of the mirror.

Today in Arabic, Saleh stood on his little soapbox and talked about western students who study abroad in middle eastern countries but don't absorb any of the culture. He was especially bitter about students who went to AUC, only made American friends, and spent all their time drinking at hotel bars and eating at McDonalds. It seems strange to me that people would do that, but it also seems very typical of Miami students, let's be honest. I mean, I honestly wouldn't mind eating at the McDonalds... once. Just like when we went to the McDonalds in Germany. It was fun to see what other cultures consider the norm on something as simple as a McDonalds menu. But I'm one of those people who doesn't mind being a striagh-up tourist one day... taking camel rides to the pyramids, visiting Luxor and Alexandria, eating at a McDonalds.. but then the next day you'll find me wandering the streets (obviously with my macho Cairo-male counter-parts to keep me taunted-free) looking for the best caffe unknown to anyone but the locals. That's my idea of studying abroad!

0 Free for All: